One of the hobbies that goes hand in hand with 3D printing and other maker-related skills, is photography. We all make fantastic things using our skills and it’s only right to show them off. A great project deserves a good photo to show it off; a good photo can make a boring project seem incredible. Like many things though, a photography hobby can get expensive with all the gear one might want or need. Thankfully we have 3D printers and we can take some of that cost burden away.
This month, our extended competition is to create cameras and accessories. That’s right, I’m including cameras in whole in this one. We have a few pinhole cameras on Printables already and some very cool things could be done with a Pi Zero (I know, “if you can get one”) and a Pi Camera module.
Of course, accessories are all up for grabs too. We would love to see tripods, lens caps, hot shoe accessories, battery holders, flash accessories, and anything else you can come up with to help someone take better photographs or care for their camera gear.
Valid entries in this contest must be directly useful to use with cameras. It doesn’t matter if it’s a film camera, a digital camera, a video camera, or a webcam, but it must be a print that somehow works with a device that captures an image. Adding entries that have nothing to do with the contest theme doesn’t give you a chance of winning, it just creates a mess for those looking for useful files. Please read the full list of rules below.
Our first-place winner will receive a brand new Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ Kit.
You all have a chance to help award some prizes too. We want to see your makes of these designs and the five entries with the most makes (who are not also main prize winners) will each receive 300 Prusa Meters good for filament and other awesome prizes.
- Overall quality of the model.
- Printability – Whether the model has an optimal orientation, whether it is divided into multiple parts so it can be printed more easily (without supports) etc.
- Originality – If you create something truly unique, it will be rated better than a slightly altered existing model.
- Popularity – Share your model to increase its popularity, and prove that users appreciate such a model.
- Your other works – In case we can’t decide between two favorite designs, we often check your other models to see what you can do.
- Assembly instructions – If your model consists of multiple parts, we check how easy it is to assemble the final product.
- Photo quality – Well-lit, in focus, and clear photos help show off your work and help us pick the best designs.
How to participate?
It’s easy to participate in this competition. Just follow these simple instructions.
- Design and create a model or improve an already existing one (“remix”) so that the result fits the theme of this contest. The model has to be printable on an FFF/FDM or SLA 3D printer (any manufacturer and model). This also means that you don’t need to own a 3D printer to participate. When creating the model, keep in mind the pros and cons of various types of 3D printing technologies and what can and can’t be actually done.
- Upload the model to Printables.com and make sure it contains:
- Model in .3MF or .STL file format (print files are optional)
- Photo or render of the model (ideally both)
- Model description
- Add the model to the contest. You will find the new competition button next to your name on the print’s page after you publish your print. Click the Compete medal and select the “Cameras And Accessories” contest. After that, your print will be shown on the contest page and you will be in the running.
Of course, you can share your model on social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest,…), and don’t forget to add @printablescom. This can help increase the popularity of the model.
Terms and conditions
- The contest runs from June 10th, 2022 to July 31st, 2022.
- You can submit any number of models (unique) to the competition and increase your chances of winning.
- Models submitted to the contest must be new models that have been uploaded after the contest has started.
- The model must contain at least one printed part.
- By entering the contest, you agree to keep your model posted to Printables.com for a minimum of one year. The Prusa team reserves the right to repost your design if it is removed before the end of that year.
- You must be the original creator of the model you upload, please no reposting other people’s models from other sites.
- We reserve the right to terminate the competition or change the conditions of the competition at any time. In case of violation of the terms and conditions or attempted fraud, the competitor will be disqualified.
- Submitting entries that do not fit the contest criteria will result in disqualification and repeated offenses may disqualify you from future contests.
- Results are at the judge’s discretion and all results are final.