With American Thanksgiving past and Hanukkah in full swing this week, we are officially into the holiday season. Many of us will be firing up our printers to make gifts for our friends and family and most of us will also be using our machines to also help spread a little holiday cheer around our homes with ornaments and decorations. To that end, our next contest is looking for your input.
Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, Solstice, or just love ringing in the new year in style, we want to see your designs to help us celebrate this special time of year. This of course isn’t our first time holding a holiday ornaments competition and is most likely not the last. In the many years I’ve been involved with the 3D printing community, I have found that Holiday competitions like this always brings out the best in this community especially since any skill level of designer can create an ornament.
So, let’s see your snowflakes and stars, your nutcrackers, and pickles. Show us some LED fun with menorahs and schwibbogen, maybe even a New Year’s countdown timer. We can’t wait to see how you celebrate the season and all decorations or celebration accessories are fair game.
Here are a few holiday decorations from years past to help inspire you.
Our first place winner will receive a brand new Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ Kit.
We once again are giving you all a chance to help award some prizes too. We want to see your makes of these designs and the five entries with the most makes (who are not also main prize winners) will each receive a $50 voucher to our E-Shop.
- Overall quality of the model.
- Printability – whether the model has an optimal orientation, whether it is divided into multiple parts so it can be printed more easily (without supports) etc.
- Originality – If you create something truly unique, it will be rated better than a slightly altered existing model.
- Popularity – Share your model to increase its popularity, prove that users appreciate such a model.
- Your other works – In case we can’t decide between two favorite designs, we often check your other models to see what you can do.
- Assembly instructions – if your model consists of multiple parts, we check how easy it is to assemble the final product.
How to participate?
It’s easy to participate in this competition. Just follow these simple instructions.
- Design and create a model or improve an already existing one (“remix”) so that the result fits the theme of this contest. The model has to be printable on an FFF/FDM or SLA 3D printer (any manufacturer and model). This also means that you don’t need to own a 3D printer in order to participate. When creating the model, keep in mind the pros and cons of various types of 3D printing technologies and what can and can’t be actually done.
- Upload the model to PrusaPrinters.org and make sure it contains:
- Model in .3MF or .STL file format (print files are optional)
- Photo or render of the model (ideally both)
- Model description
- Add the model to the contest. You will find the new competition button next to your name on the print’s page after you publish your print. Click the Compete medal and select the “2021 Holidays” contest. After that your print will be shown on the contest page and you will be in the running.
Of course, you can share your model on social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest,…) and don’t forget to add the #PrusaPrinters hashtag. This can help increase the popularity of the model.
Terms and conditions
- The contest runs from December 1st, 2021 to December 19th, 2021 23:59 UTC.
- You can submit any number of models (unique) to the competition and increase your chances of winning.
- Models submitted to the contest must be new models from the 2021 holiday season.
- The model must contain at least one printed part.
- By entering the contest, you agree to keep your model posted to PrusaPrinters for a minimum of one year.
- You must be the original creator of the model you upload, please no reposting other people’s models from other sites.
- We reserve the right to terminate the competition or change the conditions of the competition at any time. In case of violation of the terms and conditions or an attempted fraud, the competitor will be disqualified.