In 3D printing, there are low-cost printers and then there is the Tronxy X3. It is inexpensive, open-frame, and fun to use. It is one of the largest printers you can get for the price, which makes it tough to beat.
The Tronxy X3 is another classic kit 3D printer, which comes fully unassembled. You can expect set up to take around 10 – 12 hours if all goes smoothly. Of course, depending on your technical skills this can swing one way or other. If you are new to kit 3D printers be sure to use the internet for help when you get stuck. More than likely someone else has run into the same issue and many online communities are ready to help.
This is a printer where the grass is greener on the other side. Right out of the box, the Tronxy X3 is not perfect. But with some minor adjustments and changes, it will be creating masterpieces for you. So be warned if you are new to 3D printing. You will learn a lot with building and calibrating this machine but with a little time and patience, you will be able to get it just right.
Once you have the Tronxy X3 built you will find it has a lot of awesome features. It creates a fairly high-quality print and is consistent with its quality. There is a large community online that is willing to help and provide tips and tricks. Overall, this 3D printer pleases most who use it. Let’s check out some of the finer details.
Cores Features of Tronxy X3 3D Printer
- All Metal Design: An aluminum frame give it an industrial polished look. All metal pulleys improve performance and allow the machine to operate smoothly. Stainless steel rods, gears, bearings, and connectors. All of this makes for a sturdy build and a 3D printer that looks and feels like it will stand the test of time. It seems to be a much sturdier machine than the similar Anet A8.
- Compact Design: The total footprint for this machine is only 19.2″ x 12″ x 7.8″, and it weighs less than 20 lbs. The lightweight and aluminum design make this 3D printer easy to move between workspaces. Whether it’s a new spot in the office or bedroom, you can rest assured the printer will move easily and stay intact when you pick it up all without taking up much space in your area.
- Large Print Bed: A fairly large print bed is a big draw for many people to this printer. It allows you to create most objects that you would want to print on a desktop machine. You can create multiple small pieces in batches or a large functional prototype. As mentioned previously, this is one of the larger build volumes you will find at this price point.
- LCD Screen: Makes printing off an SD Card a breeze as all print functionality can be configured through the screen. You can easily adjust settings and manage your printer without the need of an external computer.
Here are the key specs of the Tronxy X3 3D printer:
|Build Area||8.7″ x 8.7″ x 11.8″|
|Print Speed||150 mm/s|
|Filament Types||ABS, PLA, Wood, Nylon, PVA, HIPS and more|
|Layer Resolution||50 – 100 microns|
|Nozzle Diameter||0.4 mm|
Pros of the Tronxy X3
Here are some of the aspects I really enjoy about the Tronxy X3.
- Supports multiple filament types: All metal, hot-end temperature: 170-275 C, Heated aluminum bed only thing missing is an enclosure, which can be easily purchased or printed.
Upgrades: as most popular 3D kit printers, the X3 has a large following online. You are able to find many tips and upgrades from people with the same printer. One that seems to be a fan favorite is printing legs for the 3D printer to rest on. This frees up space under the printer. You can store the electronic housing box or even extra filament spools under your 3D printer and not use any more desk space.
- Price: You will find the Tronxy X3 3D Printerfor right around $250 with that pricing varying depending on where you are purchasing the 3D printer from. It is currently listed on Amazon for $255 and can be found around that price on most other sites. Always be sure to make sure you are purchasing from a reputable seller to ensure better service and products. Check out the latest prices on Amazon.
- Auto-leveling bed: While this does take a minor upgrade it is worth the cheap buck to improve your 3D printer. The auto-leveling feature makes it so you no longer need to fiddle with tiny screws between prints trying to get the bed perfect. Let a couple of sensors do the work for you.
Cons of the Tronxy X3
We don’t love it all, so here are the things that get to users of the Tronxy X3 the most.
- Timely setup: Takes time to properly calibrate – As you should expect from budget 3D printers, they are not perfect. One of the most reported flaws is the time to get the machine fully dialed in. Due to the bed having a bad wobble you will need to spend some extra time getting it properly calibrated. Of course, the plus side to this is a few cheap improvements will drastically improve the performance of the machine and stabilize the bed. Many of these improvements can be printed from your machine and models can be found online.
- Limited connectivity options: Unfortunately, the TronxyX3 does not support WiFi connectivity. You are restricted to using a usb cable to connect it to an external machine or an SD card with your models preloaded onto it. This isn’t the end of the world it just limits some of your capabilities. You will need to be with, or close to, your 3D printer in order to begin printing and monitoring the process.
Final Take – A Decent 3D printer for a Specific Group of Users
The printer is by no means perfect. But with a little bit of work, you can take this from a so-so 3D printer to an awesome 3D printer. Which is why this is a great 3D printer for hobbyist and those that want to customize and mess around with the inner workings of their machine. This is why the Tronxy X3 is a fairly popular desktop 3D printer. Most users are the creative hobbyist types and enjoy and hands-on task. If you fit into that category then this could be a great option for you.
However, this 3D printer is not meant for everyone. Many novice users and those wanting to use the Tronxy X3 for educational purposes are better off looking at pre-assembled 3D printers. If you are looking for an easy to use, plug and play type printer then you will need to be willing to spend a little more and look elsewhere.